Home Design Guides: Climate control, Windows
Doors and windows are easily the weakest links in your home when it comes to passive design. Find out how you can control heat gain, heat loss and air infiltration through and around doors and windows.
- Reduces heat transfer very effectively
- Excellent acoustic insulation
- Costs much more than single glazing
- Improves solar and thermal control
- Reduces UV transmission
- Relatively expensive
- Can reduce solar heat gain in winter
The main purposes for windows are to allow light in and to let you see out - and this often comes at the expense of their ability to prevent heat transfer. Learn more about heat loss through windows.
Windows are responsible for most of the natural heat loss or heat gain in most homes. Find out how to effectively insulate your home's windows and glass doors.