Several places in our homes tend to become the focal point where all friends and family tend to gather; this can be the kitchen, living room, a swimming pool specially designed for this purpose, patio, etc. A fireplace is also the perfect focal point for friends or family gathering, especially during winter. In fact, there is no better place than in front of a fireplace during winter to remain cosy, warm and a place to have a conversation with friends and family.
Thus, it is a good idea to design the fireplace well to ensure it is appealing, stylish and goes well with the decor of your house. Some of the popular types of fireplaces include an electric fireplace, gas fireplace and wood fireplace. There is also the option of picking between different fireplace surrounds to provide the necessary effect and add to the aesthetic value. This article explains the different types of fireplace surrounds and the benefits of opting for natural stone. It is a must-read for those considering fireplace installation in Melbourne.
Types of Fireplace Surrounds
A fireplace is usually always designed as a place where one can relax and socialize. However, the type of fireplace and the surrounds play a vital role in how appealing the fireplace is. It is important to put some thought into the design of a fireplace to ensure it is appealing and that it becomes the focal point of any room. Some of the main factors that make a fireplace stunning include the choice of the type of fireplace as well as selecting the fireplace surround. There are many different types of materials that can be used for the fireplace surround and they can be used in many different styles.
Some of the popular surrounds include wood, marble, cast iron, limestone, and several other types of natural stones.
- Limestone surround: This is one of the more popular options when it comes to a fireplace surround and is the best option for a contemporary design, one with sharp and clean edges. For those who prefer a fireplace with geometric shapes, carved edges or traditional shapes, limestone is the perfect option. The fact that it is available in multiple colours also works to your advantage to enhance the appearance of the room.
- Marble surround: There are not many materials that can beat the luxurious look of a polished marble surface. Some of the common characteristics of polished marble stone in Melbourne include individual seam, grains, and patterns. It is available in various natural colours like white, granite, beige and cream.
- Wood fireplace surrounds: Wood too is an excellent choice for a fireplace surround and is useful to give your room a nice cozy feeling. It can be carved into many different designs like modern and traditional. Some of the popular wood surrounds include natural colours like light oak, rich mahogany, however, it can be painted in other colours as well.
- Cast Iron surround: Cast iron is suitable for both a fuel fire and gas fireplace. It can be designed in various finishes and styles like Victorian & Georgian style. It is ideal for a period property and a fireplace that is surrounded by cast iron, ceramic tiles or stone like granite.
- Brick fireplace: A brick fireplace is an economical option that is also easy to install and repair. It is strong and stable and also aesthetic.
Benefits of Opting for Natural Stone Fireplace
Natural stone is the perfect option for a fireplace surround; one of the main reasons is because it blends with a home's style better. Natural stone like the marble slab in Melbourne is highly customizable to a design of your choice. They are available in several colours, patterns and are highly durable. It is useful when it comes to design consistency especially if there is extensive use of stone in the other sections of the house; this includes the countertops, backsplash flooring, walls, etc. A natural stone fireplace surround will also help increase the value of your home.