You should know this by now. Painting is one of the quickest methods to improve and increase your home’s value. You see, a fresh coat of paint can brighten a room and make your exterior walls look newer.
Painting may be a common DIY project for most homeowners, but there is more to it than using a brush and paint.
If you are new to painting, you might be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work needed. In a project like this, you should consider hiring professional Sydney painters. Professional painting contracts have the right number of painters to finish the project on time and within budget.
What are Painting Contractors?
Professional painting contractors are a group of professional painters in Sydney who work for a general contractor or can be hired directly by the homeowners. They are usually local tradies with manpower ranging from solo painting professionals to a small company with fifteen to twenty painters. Their focus is mainly on painting but some of them specialise in other areas like drywall repair, wallpapering, or staining.
They do more than paint your walls. One of the perks of hiring professional painters is that they can get the job done fast and efficiently. They also prepare the surfaces properly and clean up after the work is done.
On top of painting your walls, these are the things you can expect when you hire a painting contractor:
- They will cover the areas that are not going to be painted
- Prepping the surface, they will be painting, but major repairs are not included
- Removing the switch plates, outlet covers, and other items that might get in the way while painting
- Priming the drywall before painting
- Painting the trims and baseboards
- Touching up the missed spots
Cleanup after Completing the Painting Job
Final walkthrough with you to check on the finished work
Not all painting contractors are equal. You should ask them what they offer and level your expectations during the negotiation process.
Finding the Right Painting Contractor
Going online to search for a painting contractor is not the only way to find them. Try asking family and friends for some recommendations. Check out the paint store if they can recommend any. You can also look at local directories for painting contractors near you.
Before starting your search, take these few steps to find the right painting contractor for your project.
Plan your Painting Project Carefully
If you want to find professional painters in Sydney on a budget, you need to plan your project carefully. By planning, you can get the most accurate quotes. Here are some of the components that you should consider in planning your project:
- Area to paint – The area’s square footage will have a significant impact on your painting cost
- Type of project – Is it a touch-up or a complete makeover of your house’s colour palette?
- Quality of the paint – Whether you are going for the highest quality paint or the usual standard variant, you should decide before committing to a painting contractor.
- Exterior or Interior Painting – The type of painting services you need will dictate the type of painters to hire. Each painter has their specialty.
- Impact on your work/home schedule – Most painting companies will need the homeowner or a representative to be present while they are on the premises.
You will save time and money when you have a detailed plan.
Get to know the Painting Contractors
Once you have completed your plan, it is time to research painting contractors. There are two minimum requirements you should look for: insurance coverage and licence. You should start your research online as most painters in Sydney have a website or are listed on services websites.
Check their online reviews. The best painters for the job should have an impressive portfolio of their past projects, positive reviews from previous clients, and adequate experience.
Ask for Referral
Many painting contractors operate locally, and their services can vary. Some are experts in residential painting while others offer added services like wallpapering, deck and fence painting, pressure washing, etc. The best way to find the right painting contractor that fits the bill would be via referrals. Ask your friends, family, and neighbours for painters they hired recently. They may have recommendations.
Meet with the Painting Contractors
Aside from your in-depth research and referrals, you should interview the contractors via phone. These questions can help you decide:
- Do you have references from your previous clients?
- Are your employees working on the project or you will subcontract?
- Can you provide a copy of your contracting licence and insurance coverage?
- What brands of paint do you use?
- Is the price of the paint included in your quote?
- Do you need a representative from the residents while you work?
- What are your payment terms?
Vet your Top Choices
The phone interview would narrow down your choices. At this point, you can ask the contractors for references.
If you can, reach out to these references and ask them about their experience with the painting contractor. Some of the questions might include:
- Were they able to complete the project on time?
- Are you satisfied with their work?
- Did the project meet your budget?
- Were the painting contractors professional?
- Would you hire them again?
Contact the Painting Contractors for an Estimate
Shortlist at least three local painting contractors and ask them for estimates. The contractor should send someone to check the site and discuss with you the project requirements. Once they have the details, they should send an estimate. There are the items that should be on the estimate:
- The contact information – company name, address, contact number and website
- The total cost of the project after taxes
- Scope of the project – including the area to be painted, the prep work, and the application technique
- Tools and paint specifications
- Project timeline – start and end date
- Terms and conditions of the project including payment terms.
In hiring painting contractors in Sydney and its surrounding suburbs, the total cost can be a significant consideration. However, it should not be your only deciding factor in hiring painters. You should consider the painter’s experience, their track record of completing the project on time and within budget, and what their previous clients can say about them.