How to deal with gas leaks

Gas leak 


Always take gas leaks seriously, and deal with them immediately.

Gas leaks aren't something you should ignore - even if you think you only have a small gas leak, you should deal with it immediately. Below are a few steps you can take to deal with leaking gas inside and outside your home:

If you smell gas inside:

There are several steps you should take if you smell gas permeating around the house. First, evacuate everyone from the house and open all of your doors and windows. Next, leave the house and turn off gas at the meter (or LP Gas cylinder if that's what you're using).

If you can and it's safe to do, switch the power off at the electricity meter box too, so electrical appliances can't generate a spark. Then move to a safe distance and call your plumber or local gas authority (see below).



If you smell gas outside:

Immediately turn off or remove all sources of ignition – including cigarettes, mobile phones, and general electrical equipment in the area. Call the emergency number for your State authority (see below) and relate to them where the leak is and any other details you feel are relevant. Lastly, turn off the gas at your meter.

The meter is usually located at the side or front of your house. Turn the valve at the gas meter to the ‘OFF’ position. If the OFF position isn't marked, The valve is off when the handle is at right angles (across) to the gas inlet pipe.

NEVER attempt to fix a gas leak yourself!


How to tell if your gas appliances have a problem

There are a few hints that may indicate that your gas appliances may not be operating as they're supposed to. Things to look for include:

  • Gas burning with a yellow rather than a blue flame (apart from some flame effect heaters)
  • Soot deposited in or around the appliance
  • Flames not burning irregularly or in the wrong directions
  • Unpleasant smells

If you notice any of these problems, stop using the appliance and contact a gasfitter immediately. Even if it doesn't appear that there's a problem, you may be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

To be clear: if the problem's with a gas appliance, you should call a licensed gasfitter. If the problem's with your gas meter or the piping leading up to it, that's normally a matter for the company that supplies your gas.


Emergency numbers

  • SA/QLD/NT 1800 808 526
  • NSW 1800 676 300
  • VIC 13 27 71
  • TAS 180 2111
  • ACT 13 19 09
  • WA 13 13 52