Global storming and climatic changes associated with it are impacting human civilization negatively, creating hazards for human health and posing serious threats to even the survival of human beings. The CO2 emissions and improper management of industrial waste are other serious threats to the environment. The tackling of this challenge, however, cannot be left out to governments and lawmakers only as we the citizens of this global village called the world can also play an effective role to address the issue as well.
Our efforts to make the world eco-friendly should begin with the basic unit of human society i.e. our own home. If you have recently buy a new house thenIn this article I will deliberate upon some ideas and tips about how can one make his or her home more eco-friendly;
Go green-Grow your staples
Going green is today’s buzzword. Growing your own staples and herbs in your backyard, garden, or even in your apartment is also a good step to keeping your environment eco-friendly. Additionally, you will get rid of produce grown with pesticides and chemicals. No need to go for expensive organic vegetables and fruits as you can grow tomatoes, carrots, salad leaves, chilies, and much more using pots, seeds, and quality soil. And don’t worry about your budget. We all know now that coupons save household expenses; so use them extensively to buy all your gardening requirements at discounts.
Go for energy-efficient bulbs
Incandescent lighting consumes more energy than LED’s. So swapping the less efficient bulbs for LED’s will reduce your electricity bills. Besides, LED’s last longer and thus save the replacement cost. According to the U.S Department of Energy, light-emitting Diodes (LED’s) use 25-80% less energy and last 3-25 times longer than traditional incandescent. The CO2 emissions of LED’s are also low. One LED bulb providing the same luminosity as one incandescent bulb emits 80% fewer greenhouse gases. These bulbs also do not accumulate harmful chemicals in the environment.
Keep your house adequately insulated
The insulation in your house ensures energy efficiency. In a well-insulated house, the energy bills are sure to reduce significantly. You can adopt many affordable DIY options to insulate your house effectively.
- Use weatherproofing strips to seal any leaks in windows.
- You can insulate windows with a window insulation kit. They can reduce the heat loss by 90% if you install them properly thereby providing you a warm winter. There are lots of these kits available at price under $20.You can further save by shopping through promo codes to grab one at an impressive discount.
- Use thermal or thick blackout curtains at windows that consist of several layers.
- Cover pipes in your heating system with pipe legging that are available cheaply in DIY stores. This will stop heat from leaking from the pipes.
Avoid wasting water
When we do not use water sparingly and waste it, we divert it from the human usable resource pool of freshwater making it inaccessible to fellow human beings and draining too much usable water from the natural ecosystem. According to EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency), the average family can waste 180 gallons per week (9400 gallons annually) from household leaks.
Though 70% of the earth is covered with water, only 2% of this is fresh. The major part of this freshwater (1.6%) is locked in icecaps and glaciers, leaving only 0.4% to be shared in 7 billion people of the planet.
We can avoid wasting water by taking the following measures
- Use low flow taps and showerheads.
- Turn off the tap while brushing teeth or shaving.
- Buy energy-efficient appliances. I.e. dishwashers and washing machines. Use coupon codes to buy them real cheap.
- Don’t take shower for too long.
- Avoid wasting water while watering plants in the garden or washing your car.
Install Solar Panels
The installation of solar panels at home initially requires a bit of spending but its cost-saving benefits in long term make it a very desirable option. You can generate enough electricity to enable you from going off-grid. Not relying on energy generated by fossil fuel you will contribute to reducing air pollution as electricity generation from fossil fuel produces CO2 and methane that reduce the air quality.
You can make your purchase of solar panels in more than one ways
- Buy through coupon codes, promo codes, or discount vouchers. Mind my words; an intelligent Google search for better offers may save you even 50% of the cost.
- You can go solar in multiple steps. For instance, you may start with solar energy chargers for devices and buy solar kitchen appliances and solar water heaters next.
- Build your own DIY solar panel system. There are many resources on the web that will teach you how.
Since the potential threat of global warming is now so evident, it’s now obligatory for all to make their houses eco-friendly. Above I have presented some of the ways that can help you do it in an affordable manner. The list however is not exhaustive and you should search for other means as well. The message however is “Make your homes eco-friendly in order to contribute to saving the planet”.