What Is Mould Testing, And How Do Inspectors Check For Mould?

18 September 2021

Mould is a type of fungus that grows in the home when moisture levels are high. It can grow on ceilings, walls, and even inside your furniture. In order to find out if there is mould present during a home inspection in Sydney, inspectors will look for signs such as discoloration or damage to wallpaper or paint at the baseboards. They may also use an electronic device called a "black light" which aids them in spotting areas where mould could be growing.


Mould tests are generally performed to determine the type of mould, where it is located and how severe it may be. Inspection companies will use various methods during a building inspection in Sydney such as identifying airborne spores with an air sample barrel or spore trap, collecting samples from surfaces using scrapers (surface sampling) or taking water samples from selected areas. Home inspectors typically look at homes’ foundations during their inspections, but if there is evidence of possible rainwater intrusion through windowsills and other such areas, they might also take a closer look at the roof. If mould is found during a home or building inspection in Sydney, it can be treated and removed in order to prevent future growth.


If there is mould growing in your home it is easy to locate it. Common places to find mould are:


  • Clothes or curtains and drapes that have been exposed to flooding
  • Damp furniture, carpets, or upholstery. Look for discoloration on the fabric. If this is found it may be a sign of water damage in your home as well as mould growth.
  • Mould can also grow inside walls if there was a flood at some point. These areas need to be checked with professional equipment like thermal imaging cameras so inspectors know where exactly they should look for potential sources of moisture which could lead to more mould growth. Insufficient ventilation will make any problems worse by trapping humid air in one place longer than necessary


Prevention is always better than cure. Preventing mould from growing in your home is of utmost importance because it can lead to serious health problems. Here are a few tips on how to prevent mould from forming.


  • Remove any standing water from your home and use a dehumidifier in the area where it was found, as well as other areas of concern.
  • Keep indoor humidity levels below 45%. This is important for people with allergies or asthma but even those without such conditions should also take heed because mould spores are microscopic and may not be visible to the naked eye.
  • Conduct regular mould testing so that the inspector will check for moisture and signs that water is seeping through walls or ceilings, which are two sure fire ways to get mould growth going inside your house.


If any mould is found, it should be rectified as soon as possible before it spreads and causes serious health problems. There are many ways to do this depending on what type of surface has been contaminated by mould:


  • Wipe down cleaned surfaces with a bleach solution of at least 50% water and 50% sodium hypochlorite (e.g., Clorox) or hydrogen peroxide, although these may not be appropriate for all materials such as natural wood finishes.
  • Remove porous items that can't be properly disinfected from the area where mould has been found, either by washing them in detergent and hot water or disposing of them outside the home if they are too large to wash indoors.
  • If you have an air conditioner/heating unit on your roof, check it each day to make sure there is no mould present around it before turning off this equipment after use; don’t turn off the equipment if you see mould.
  • If there is water damage to your ceiling, plug the hole and keep it dry with a wet cloth or sponge until you are able to fix the leak.
  • Install plastic guards on windowsills that may be prone to rainwater seeping in from outside onto window ledges when they're open too wide (you can get these at any hardware store).
  • When carpeting gets wet due to flooding, use fans/dehumidifiers as much as possible to remove excess moisture so it does not have time for mould growth."
  • Items should be discarded if the item cannot adequately be cleaned or laundered.
  • Filtration systems may also help reduce indoor concentrations of mould spores by capturing them before they are released into the air via fans in HVAC units."


Untreated mould can cause a variety of health problems, including respiratory issues and skin irritation. Mould needs to be removed as soon as it is detected. You can be sure that you and your family are safe from toxic mould infestation when you conduct frequent mould testing through a home inspection in Sydney. Mould is a serious health hazard, so it's important to make sure that the air in your home is clean and free of any potential threats.